The St. Louis Rams opened their preseason schedule with the debut of quarterback Nick Foles. He led the team on an opening drive field goal as the Rams lost to the Oakland Raiders 18-3. Greg Zuerlein kicked a 31-yard field to cap the six-play drive. The game marked the 19th time the Rams and the Raiders have faced off in the preseason. Oakland holds a 12-7 advantage in the series.
News and notes from the game:
• Foles completed 3-of-5 passes for 69 yards, including a long of 35 yards to WR Tavon Austin. Foles left the game after completing two series with the first unit with a 104.2 passer rating.
• QB Case Keenum took over for Foles through the end of the third quarter. Keenum completed 12-of-17 passes for 83 yards and a 81.2 passer rating.
• QB Austin Davis took over at quarterback to start the fourth quarter. Davis completed one of two passes for 12 yards.
• QB Sean Mannion led the offense for the Rams’ last offensive possession of the night. Mannion converted a fourth-and-2 with a five-yard reception by WR Bradley Marquez. On the drive, Mannion completed eight-of-13 passes for 53 yards for a 70.4 passer rating.
• WR Chris Givens led the team in receptions and receiving yards with four receptions for 36 yards. Givens also had one rush for 16 yards.
• RB Trey Watts tallied the most attempts out of the backfield with seven rushes for 16 yards.
• Collectively, the Rams offense compiled 285 total net yards (86 rushing, 199 passing), 15 first downs for a total time of possession of 29:50.
• CB Trumaine Johnson intercepted Raiders QB Derek Carr in the endzone for a touchback. In regular season play, Johnson has compiled eight career interceptions (2012-2, 2013-3, 2014-3).
• Rookie CB Imoan Claiborne snagged an interception off Raiders QB Christian Ponder at the end of the first half.
• Defensively, rookie LB Bryce Hager led the team in tackles with seven (five solo), according to press box statistics.
• K Greg Zuerlein converted a 31-yard field goal.
• P Johnny Hekker punted three times for 130 yards, including a long of 59 yards.
• P/K Michael Palardy had one punt for 38 yards.
• WR Damian Williams had one kickoff return for 15 yards. WR Daniel Rodriguez also had one for 23 yards.
• RB Todd Gurley, CB E.J. Gaines, G Cody Wichmann, WR Brian Quick, TE Brad Smelley, DE Chris Long, LB Korey Toomer, CB Brandon McGee, DT Doug Worthington, and DE Eugene Sims did not play in the game.