Secretary of State Jason Kander today unveiled the 2013–2014 Official Manual, State of Missouri, commonly known as the “Blue Book,” online at www.mobluebook.com.
With contact information, biographies and overviews of department duties, the “Blue Book” serves as an important guide for Missourians seeking information about their state agencies and officials, county government and members of Congress. It is published every two years by the secretary of state.
Because of a new state law, the “Blue Book” moved to online publication in 2011. While the information remains just as helpful, the “Blue Book” is an important historical record best appreciated in its physical form. For that reason, Kander is striving to make the “Blue Book” available in print once more.
Honoring the 60th anniversary of President Harry S Truman leaving office, Kander dedicated the volume, its 69th edition, to the memory and work of the Missouri native.
“President Truman’s well-known work ethic, no-nonsense approach and deep love for his home state remain the gold standard that those of us in public service strive to achieve.” Kander wrote.
Additionally, the manual features an essay by University of Central Missouri professor and noted author Jon Taylor exploring the importance of Missouri to Truman’s life. Complementing the academic analysis, the “Remembering Harry” photo contest showcases Missourians’ work interpreting three of Truman’s well-known quotes in photographic form. Winners hail from various parts of the state, and were chosen through a combination of online voting and selection by a committee of judges.
Category: “Carry the battle to them.”
- 1st Place Barbara Good, Versailles—Mounted Drill Team at Barx Timed Event Arena
- 2nd Place Kristy Rich, St. James—Colton Harris’s Pitch
- 3rd Place Pam Shrewsbury, Lathrop—State Wrestling Competition
Category: “The most peaceful thing in the world is plowing a field.”
- 1st Place James Hunter Marshall, Hornersville—Cotton Harvest by Ryan Moore
- 2nd Place Pam Shrewsbury, Lathrop—Planting Day—April 29, 2013
- 3rd Place Kelly Sanders Smith, Jefferson City—Sunset Over a Pond
Category: “I don’t believe in little plans.”
- 1st Place Corey Linehan, St. Louis—Stiltwalker, St. Louis Pride Celebration
- 2nd Place William Stine, Jefferson City—Lewis and Clark Bicentennial
- 3rd Place Linda C. Brown, Memphis—Procession for Burial of Civil War Veteran