Mizzou-Murray State. Saturday night, 6 p.m. kickoff. Five things to pay attention to as you watch the Tigers in their 2013 season opener.
1. A healthy James Franklin. He has a lot to prove and comes into the season with a chip on his (100% healthy throwing) shoulder. You’ll be impressed with the amount of zip on the ball.
2. Henry Josey. He was leading the Big 12 in rushing when he got hurt. The kid worked his tail off and now is the starting tailback this season. From what I’ve seen, he still as they quick, turn-on-a-dime cuts.
3. DGB. Dorial Green-Beckham. The coaches said they are going to target him more. Hopefully, we’ll finally get a glimpse of his star power. I have one concern…a big one…his hands. Has a tendency to drop easy passes.
4. Offensive coordinator Josh Henson. Gone are the run draws for Franklin and bubble screens that never worked. It appeared to me in three scrimmages, the Tigers will throw the ball more downfield. Don’t blink, you could miss a lot of big plays against a weak Murray State defense.
5. The heat! It’s going to be in the low 90’s at kickoff. Make sure you drink plenty of water and for goodness sake, don’t be a knucklehead and wear black!
Watch Coach Henson from Monday’s media day.