An O’Fallon family has survived a close call with carbon monoxide due to a furnace malfunction.

Four members of the family escaped the home after one woke up and experienced symptoms of CO2 poisoning.  Firefighters measured the levels in the home at 900 parts per million; a normal reading is zero. 

A furnace repairman was called in and the four were treated at an area hospital.  They say they’ll get a carbon monoxide detector before sleeping in the home again.

Cole says one member of the family had to be carried out of the home they were so ill from the poison, and everyone is lucky to have survived the situation.

AUDIO: Fire Marshal Randy Cole talks CO2 hazards, safety (1:46 min.)