Many parts of the state are recovering from the nasty winter weather that has caused outages for varying lengths of time. And, the State Fire Marshal’s Office wants to make sure people are coping safely with the power outages.

Assistant State Fire Marshal Greg Carrell says Missourians have to be reminded of the potential fire and carbon monoxide hazards created by ice storms and other weather that knocks out electricity. Candles, for instance, can pose fire threats. And, generators can leave people open to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carrell says it is important for each home to have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

Download/Listen: Steve Walsh report (:60 MP3)