Some Missourians have already filed their income tax returns for 2006, but others are just getting around to the annual task of filing. And, some taxpayers are finding they haven’t received all the documents they need to complete their returns.

Michael Devine with the Internal Revenue Service in St. Louis says all those papers should be in your possession by now. If not, contact the employer.  There’s a chance the papers were lost in the mail or delivered to the wrong address.  If getting in touch with the employer doesn’t work, the next step is to contact the IRS.

If calling the IRS for assistance, it would help to have certain pieces of information on hand. That information might include an old pay stub with the employer’s name, a tax identification number, and a phone number. The IRS could then send substitute forms and an amended tax return form to help the taxpayer comply with requirement that returns be filed by April 17th.

Download/Listen: Steve Walsh report (:60 MP3)