The Chiefs opened the 2005 season with a 27-7 win over the Jets at Arrowhead and introduced the two-headed monster known as Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. The two running backs combined for 195 yards and three touchdowns.

The Chiefs got the ground attack rolling in their first drive, which consisted of three running plays and a 35-yard touchdown by Johnson. Holmes got the two previous carries, totaling 40 yards.

Kansas City took a little more time in their next drive, going 95 yards over 12 plays. This time it was Holmes who got the glory, finishing the drive with a three yard run into the end zone.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes gave the Chiefs a 17-0 lead on the next drive with a 41-yard field goal.

In all Johnson led the way with 110 yards rushing and two touchdowns, and Holmes had 85 yards rushing with a score. It was Johnson’s sixth straight game with at least two touchdowns.

Chiefs quarterback Trent Green was 15-of-26 for 200 yards and an interception.

General Manager Carl Peterson made a number of off-season improvements to the defense and was awarded the game ball on Sunday for those moves. . Rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson led the way for Kansas City with nine tackles and Rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson led the team with nine tackles and a sack in his NFL premiere.

Safety Sammy Knight and cornerback Patrick Surtain both came to Kansas City via Miami this year and both made a defensive impact Sunday. Knight, like Johnson, had nine tackles and a sack, while Surtain picked off a pass. But his day ended after he was tackled on the play and hit the ground face-first. He’s expected to be OK.

Linebacker Kendrell Bell, who the Chiefs got from Pittsburgh, had three tackles.

In all, the defense came away with three turnovers and sacked Jets quarterback Chad Pennington three times. The most impressive feat may have been their coverage of Curtis Martin. The NFL’s leading rusher from 2004, gained only 57 yards on Sunday.

The Chiefs were 29 seconds away from a shut out, but back up quarterback Jay Fiedler hit Chris Baker in the end zone for the Jets’ only score.

Cornerback Patrick Surtain, who was a Dolphins’ free agent, had an interception, but had to leave the game after hitting the ground face-first on the play. had an interception,

INJURIES—Left tackle Willie Roaf had to leave the game with a pulled hamstring, defensive tackle Ryan Sims departed with a foot injury, and fullback Tony Richardson sprained a knee.