On August 3, Kansas City residents will decide whether or not they want a new arena downtown when they vote on a funding initiative. One thing is for sure—some big names in the world of college basketball are firmly behind the idea. Yesterday Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski, Kentucky basketball coach Tubby Smith and former Missouri basketball coach Norm Stewart all encouraged Kansas City voters to pass the ballot issue, which would add a user tax to hotel and rental car bills. That would pay for 60 percent of the cost and the other 40 percent would come from private funds. That National Association of Basketball Coaches, which would move its headquarters to the arena, plans to raise $10-million for the cause. The college basketball hall of fame would also be located at the new arena. Anshutz Entertainment Group of Los Angeles plans to kick in $50-million.
You are here: / / Big Names Endorse Proposed Arena In KC