The Osage Beach Fire Protection District’s Board of Directors will take public comments about recommendations for changes in response to a fire that killed four children last summer in a condominium at the Lake of the Ozarks. You can watch that hearing live by coming back to this page when it begins, at 6 tonight.
The fire August 4th killed two two-year-olds, a four-year-old, and a five-year-old. The four cousins were at the Compass Pointe Condominiums to celebrate the birthday of one of the children.
A committee formed after the fire recommended several changes and stricter enforcement of current code requirements in multifamily structures.
Story from August 5: Condo fire kills four children at the Lake of the Ozarks
Those recommendations are:
A. Recommendations to the Fire Board for Enactment and Enforcement by the Fire Marshal
1. Provide emergency lighting and exit signs where required. 1104.1 IFC
2. Provide public education for property managers and HOA. 403.1 IFC
3. Provide fire alarm systems for each dwelling unit. 1103.7 IFC, 1103.8 IFC
a. Minimum one detector and alarm per unit. 122.214.171.124 IFC, 1103.8.1 IFC
b. Alarm alerts entire building. 1126.96.36.199 IFC, 1103.8.2 IFC
c. Provide heat detectors on exterior exits.
d. Require manual fire alarm systems for all multi-family dwelling units more than three stories in height or with more than 16 dwelling units. 1103.7.6 IFC
4. Enforce open cooking device regulations that restrict cooking on a combustible deck or within a minimum 10’ to any combustible surface without an automatic fire suppression system. 308.1.4 IFC
5. Where smoking is permitted, require non-combustible ash trays in public spaces. 310.6 IFC
6. Enforce fueled equipment restrictions in and under buildings. 313.1 IFC
B. Recommendations for Required Enforcement by the local HOA/POA
1. Evacuation Plans posted in each unit utilized for less than 30 day rentals. 403.10.1 IFC
2. Provide an emergency guide in each unit. 403.10.2.2 IFC
3. Create smoking restrictions, post smoking areas. Disposal of smoking materials that create a fire through negligence that endangers the safety of persons or property is unlawful. 305.4 IFC
4. Provide fire extinguishers on each level at egress stairwells. 906.1 IFC
5. Sprinkler and fire alarms shall be maintained by qualified contractors.
6. Carbon monoxide detectors and alarms shall be provided in all dwelling units. 1103.9 IFC
7. Exterior egress stairwells shall be separated from the interior of the building where there is only one stairwell and the building is more than two stories above exit discharge. 1104.22 IFC
8. Enforce concealed space storage restrictions. 315.3.4 IFC
C. Suggested Recommendations for Additional Life Safety Measures
1. Provide fire suppressions systems on stairwells in non-sprinkled buildings.