A Springfield man has recovered after three days in a hospital as the result of a bite from a venomous centipede.
The Springfield News-Leader reports Jerry Maynard was bitten when he grabbed a stick to pull himself up, during a climb to Devil’s Tea Table near Kissee Mills. On that stick was a 6-inch giant red-headed centipede.
The venom caused severe swelling from the bite on his hand that eventually reached as far as his elbow.
Wildlife officials say that centipede’s bite is not typically fatal but different people have different reactions to it, much like a bee sting.
They are uncommon but not rare in the Ozarks and grow up to 10 inches in length.