The Missouri football team had a brief Big 12 north trophy presentation after practice yesterday not to distract the team next week for their KU game. Athletic Director Mike Alden presented the trophy and head coach Gary Pinkel has a brief message for the players.
Pinkel basically told the team they wanted more. Not just satisfied with winning the North, the Tigers are looking for a Big 12 Championship and a BCS bowl bid.
The question: Who will their opponent be from the South? A lot of things could be answered this weekend when #2 Texas Tech takes on #4 Oklahoma. A Sooner loss knocks them out of contention and paves the way for Texas Tech to win since they have the head to head matchup with Texas. If OU wins, it becomes more complicated.
So what happens if there is a three-way tie at the end of the regular season with each team having just one loss in Big 12 play? The Big 12 website lays it out in perfect detail.
Divisional Tiebreakers: The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
- If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
- If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
- The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
- The records of the three teams will be compared within their division
- The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6)
- The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
- The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative
- The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative
- The representative will be chosen by draw.
Pinkel admitted earlier this week that he will be watching the matchup this Saturday night and expects his players to do the same. Listen below for more on Pinkel.