The Missouri Tigers had their second scrimmage of the season on Saturday. After the offense got of to a slow start, they picked things up, and while there were some good things that took place, head coach Gary Pinkel was a little frustrated by the lack of discipline on both sides of the ball.
The first team got their work in. Chase Daniel looking sharp as usually connecting on 8 of 9 passes. I thought his best pass of the day came when he hooked up with Jared Perry on a 32 yard corner route down the left side. Daniel placed the ball perfectly over Perry’s left shoulder who beat his defender.
Running backs Jimmy Jackson and Derrick Washinton both averaged over four yards per carry, which offensive coordinator Dave Christensen called good worked.
After the scrimmage, head coach Gary Pinkel said there were too many penalties on both sides of the ball something that needed to be corrected. With the second and third team players in the game, the offense’s timing looked off.
I talked with 2nd string quarterback Chase Patton who struggled with three interceptions, but I wanted to get his take on how he handles the pressure of being Chase Daniels’ backup, knowing one play would insert him into the national picture of leading a team with expectations of a Big 12 title, BCS appearance, even a national championship game.
- Trey Hobson 45-yd. interception return
- De’Vion Moore 16-yd. run
- Jared Perry 32-yd. pass from Chase Daniel
- La’Roderick Thomas 35-yd. pass from Chase Patton
- Adam Casey 8-yd. pass from Dominic Grooms
- Derrick Washington 1-yd. run
- Grooms 5-yd. run
- Titus Wonsey 2-yd. run
- Chase Daniel – 8-9, 97 yds., 1 TD
- Chase Patton – 9-19, 102 yds., 1 TD, 3 INTs
- Dominic Grooms – 17-27, 118 yds., 1 TD
- Jimmy Costello – 6-11, 59 yds.
- De’Vion Moore – 13-64, 1 TD
- Derrick Washington – 9-42, 1 TD
- Jimmy Jackson – 9-40
- Shawn Scott – 7-34
- La’Roderick Thomas – 8-89, 1 TD
- Brandon Gerau – 3-42
- Jared Perry – 1-32, 1 TD
- Chase Coffman – 3-31
- Jeremy Maclin – 4-28
- Kevin Rutland – 2-30
- Trey Hobson – 1-45, 1 TD